Standing Seam Metal Roofing
Alpine Sheet Metal Systems are the Standing Seam Metal Roofing Experts. With roll form, on-site fabrication and our custom sheet metal shop we can custom fabricate any standing seam metal roofing system. Throughout the Dallas, Fort Worth metroplex and all of Texas call Alpine Sheet Metal Systems for all of your standing seam metal roofing needs.
Used in buildings as diverse as multi-story apartment complexes to your neighborhood three-bedroom rancher, metal roofs provide energy savings, beauty, and protection for your home that can last a lifetime. Residential metal roofs are available in a wide variety of designs to complement any style home. Offered in a rainbow of colors, your metal roof can be a traditional vertical seam profile, or be manufactured to resemble wood shake, slate, shingles or clay tiles.
What is Standing Seam Metal Roofing
Standing seam metal roofing is a particular type of metal roofing that raises the seams above the level of the roofing itself. Houses in your neighborhood with metal roofs most likely are of the standing seam variety. Continuous panels run from the ridge of the roof all the way down to the eaves. Between the panels are seams connected by fasteners which are raised above the level of the metal roofing. This is where we derive the term standing seam, because the seam is raised, or standing, as opposed to flush-mounted. Because seams are always the weak point with any kind of building material, especially roofing, raising the seams above water level is a key advantage.
Elements of Standing Seam Metal Roofing
- Seam Fasteners: These seam fasteners might be anywhere from 0.5 inches to 1.5 inches high. Because these fasteners are concealed, you only see a smooth continuous ridge extending from top to bottom.
- Pre-formed vs. Site-formed: Roof panels can come either pre-formed or site-formed. Pre-formed panels are created in an off-site factory. Site-formed panels are created from rolls of metal that are run through mobile forming machines which crimp the metal into rigid panels.
- Composition and Width of Panels: Panels tend to run 12 to 19 inches wide. Panels are usually made either of Galvalume-coated steel or aluminum.
Advantages of Standing Seam Metal Roofing
- High Seams: One great advantage of standing seam metal roofs is contained in the name itself: seams, the weak point in any roof and a potential entry point for moisture, are raised above the level of the roofing panel. This cannot be said for composition shingles or especially for torch-down or rolled roofing.
- Fewer Seams: Because the metal panels run unhindered from the top to the bottom of the roof, not only are there no horizontal seams but in total the roof has far fewer seams.
- Durable: Metal is tough and durable, but it’s not impervious to all hazards. The sheet metal in this type of roofing can be penetrated by heavy falling limbs or dented by a severe hailstorm.
- Long-Lasting: With proper maintenance, you can expect your metal roof to last between 30 and 50 years.
- “Cool Roof”: All metal roofing, in general, is considered a “cool roof” by the US Environmental Protection Agency. This is because metal roofing can be painted any color, including colors on the lighter end of the spectrum which will prevent solar heat gain. Composition shingles are difficult to paint.
- Sleek Looks: Standing seam roofs are perfect for certain types of contemporary or country-style houses. Due to the smooth, straight lines, these roofs give your house an industrial feeling, yet with a modern flair. These are not the rippled tin roofs that you might remember from warehouses of the past.
- Multiple Colors: Metal roofing comes in a decent array of colors: grays, browns, forest greens, earthy reds. While this is not the full palette of colors you might find at a paint store, it is far more than you will find with composite/asphalt shingles.
Standing Seam Metal Roofing is considered Cool Roofing. A cool roof is one that has been designed to reflect more sunlight and absorb less heat than a standard roof. Cool roofs can be made of a highly reflective type of paint, a sheet covering, or highly reflective tiles or shingles. Nearly any type of building can benefit from a cool roof, but consider the climate and other factors before deciding to install one.
Just as wearing light-colored clothing can help keep you cool on a sunny day, cool roofs material that is designed to reflect more sunlight and absorb less heat than a standard roof. Cool roofs can be made of a highly reflective type of paint, a sheet covering, or highly reflective tiles or shingles. Standard or dark roofs can reach temperatures of 150°F or more in the summer sun. A cool roof under the same conditions could stay more than 50°F cooler and save energy and money by using less air conditioning.
If you are looking for a roof that can give your Residential or Commercial a beautiful and modern look coupled with superb durability and longevity, a standing seam metal roof is the perfect system for you. Standing seam roofs are quickly gaining in popularity among discerning property owners who want to invest in a durable and long-lasting, energy-efficient and environmentally-friendly, premium quality roofing system that offers a true peace of mind. Alpine Sheet Metal Systems your award-winning Dallas Standing Seam Metal Roofing company. We stand by our craftsmanship and our workmanship.
Long used in industrial application such as sheds and large metal buildings. Standing seam metal roofing has now also come of age as an environmentally should and economical roofing solution for both residential and commercial customers. Standing seam is a metal roofing system featuring vertical metal panels running from the ridge of the roof all the way down to the eaves. The upturned edge of a metal panel connecting it to the adjacent panel creates a distinctive vertical line known as a standing seam, which gives this system its characteristic, trendy, modern look.